Started in 1967 as a credit union it is a non-profit organisation catering for people, young and old, in the local community who registered 1971 as an Industrial and Provident Society Company number NO000037.
The intention is to provide loans at extremely competitive rates for members borrowing and excellent rates return on savings.
From humble beginnings the credit union has grown to and has given over all the years of service to the local community. With that significant growth over the years the Directors decided to purchase premises to accommodate the credit union.
The credit union operates accounts for junior members under 16 which has proved to be a very successful way of encouraging children to save. Membership continues to grow reaching to over 3500 including the junior savers.
There is over £6.5 million in members’ savings and £2.75 million in loans the principles of CO-OPERATION and SELF HELP continues since the inception of the credit union.
The credit union is managed by volunteers and a board of directors but staff now look after the day-to-day operation of the Credit Union.
With the introduction of IT and the internet the credit union is allowing the members to complete certain processes online. Giving the same level of security as if members were standing with a cashier at the counter.
The credit union celebrated its 50 years of trading at the credit union office formally known as the old railway house.
Want to find out more?
Telephone – 028 8284 1010
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright British Credit Union Historical Society 2018 – All rights reserved