Ballyhackamore Credit Union was established in 1967 with help from Derry Credit Union. The motivating force was Father PJ O’Hare of St Colmcille’s church.
The first Board meeting held in March 1967 consisted of Jerome Dawson, Val McMurray, Jimmy O’Reilly, Myles McCormick, Jackie Brown, Tom Fleming, Brendan Small and Paddy O’Kane.
Early business was conducted in St Colmcille’s Parochial Hall and in 1969 moved to newly acquired premises of 171 Upper Newtownards Road.
In 2002 new premises were opened at 171-173 Upper Newtownards Road. Membership has grown steadily over the years and continues to do so.
The credit union was awarded for Engaging in Community Initiatives and Outreach at the Edward Filene Credit Union Awards for Excellence, for Great Britain & Ireland 2014
In 2017, they celebrated their landmark 50 year anniversary!
Want to find out more?
Visit the Ballyhackamore Credit Union website, or get in touch with their team:
Telephone – 028 9047 1753
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright British Credit Union Historical Society 2018 – All rights reserved